Monday, March 8, 2010

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?


You remember Scooby-Doo? What a great cartoon! I always thought I was being so rebellious when I watched it. It wasn't because my mom or dad disapproved of it or banned me from watching it. It just had all the elements of things that my parents normally tried to protect me from.

Ghosts! Goblins! Witches! Warlocks! Werewolves! Red heads! Teenagers in conversion vans!

Dangerous influences, all.

Hanna-Barbera were geniuses. They very neatly packaged all those things -- normally not age-appropriate for early elementary kids -- into a cute little cartoon. They mixed in a silly hound dog (not unlike our Lucy, Scooby-Doo might just be an over sized beagle, correct?) and a lesson in problem solving, and suddenly you had an after school gold mine.

They're still making Scooby-Doo videos today. Jacob, age 5 going on 6, absolutely loves them. Ironically, the Mystery Machine is still plugging away with it's airbrushed flowers, Shaggy's hairstyle is back in style, and the Velma vs. Daphne debate rages on!

Life for those med'lin' kids is still just one mystery after another.

How much mystery is in your life? Mystery is excitement. Mystery is drama. Mystery draws out emotion, which can be and should be a vital part of your life.

I'm not suggesting that you should go get your own conversion van and head out to investigate those Sasquatch rumors on your papa's old farm. I am suggesting that you start becoming more conscious of the mystery that surrounds you day by day!

God is a creature of mystery. The depths of His character, the fullness of His love, the breadth and width of his essence would all stretch beyond the investigative limits of our fearful, snack-loving quadruped and his sleuthing sorties.

Look into that mystery. Examine it. Pursuit it. I think I can promise something if you do. The rewards when you pull back the mask and reveal the truth will far outclass the pleasure of a Scooby snack!

We're talking about PEACE at Cape Naz. We're close to wrapping up the series. Just two more weeks left. The more I dig into the subject and the more I examine life (through the context of Paul's experience), the more mystery I discover. What a grand conspiracy God has laid for us to pursuit!

With each turn I take, each cavern I explore, each mask I remove, the bigger God and His involvement becomes. Our lives are the crime scene. Emotion is the smoking gun. Faith the evidence that forms the grand puzzle. PEACE the motive. God is hidden behind it all as one grand conspiracist, pushing us deeper into a mystery that Hanna-Barbera could never hope to condense to 30 technicolor minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Jason,

God is not a "criminal." Saying so is an affront to His Name. Illegal, Wrong, Against the Law, Unlawful, Illicit, Immoral, these are all synonyms of the word "criminal." These are not words associated with Almighty God.

Maybe you should have selected a better term for God than "criminal." Of course it is just your "message" and maybe God told you during your preparation time to call him a "criminal" during the service. Never read the passage of scripture where it says "...and thou shalt call his name criminal..." It must be from the New New King James version? Just curious.

Thank You,