Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Psalms (for the worship team)

I used to do a lot of songwriting back when Jessica and I were leading worship at the church we attended while in college, but I got away from it when I started at seminary and got into other ministry areas here at Family Church. I've always wanted to get back into it both because I enjoy writing but also because it's such a great way to stay in touch with God and what He's doing/saying.

Today I decided to do something a little different for my daily devotional. I opened my Bible up to Psalm 1, read through it, and decided to write some lyrics based on the theme of the Psalm. I put some stuff down, wrote a little melody, even worked on some of the lead and guitar lines.

Anyway, we've been talking and thinking a lot about doing a Family Church worship album and to do that, we need original songs and music! I think that we have a very, very talented group of musicians and some creative song writers. We could put together an album that would bless our congregation and potentially be a great tool for other churches in our denomination to use in their worship.

So, I would challenge all of you to join with me as I go through the Psalms, one at a time. Tomorrow I'm going to go through Psalm 2. Psalm 3 will be Thursday. I might not write songs every day, and not all (and maybe not any!) of the songs that I write will be worth recording. But, doing this will get us all in the spirit of worship. It will be contagious. It will change the attitude and atmosphere that we see on Sunday morning. I would encourage all of you to join with me as I go through the Psalms, and to start writing down your thoughts and prayers! It's out of our personal experience with God that our best worship will flow and the deeper we go with God, the deeper we'll take the congregation.

1 comment:

Dr. G said...

Great idea. I have never been blessed more than when Jessica sings "Air I Breathe". Though it is not a FC original, it would be a strong addition.