Thursday, February 5, 2009

The TRANSITION

When I first heard that Pastor Brett was leaving Family Church for Florida I went into temporary shock. I have read Nazarene Polity. I knew what this meant for me. I would resign as our policy dictates, and pray the Board and the new pastor decided to keep me (and the rest of the staff) on. There was little or no risk of us being let go, but it doesn't mean the process didn't create sleepless nights.

I've devoted 8 of the best years of my life to Family Church and while I could accept that God was moving Brett on to something new, I wasn't getting that same feeling in my spirit. In fact, I entered 2009 with a tremendous hope that we were on the verge of new and amazing things. I could feel it. I knew it. It was palpable, tangible. It was exciting.

When the call came, my hope was momentarily shattered. A phantom of uncertainty rose over everything that I did and thought. All the strategy, praying, and planning I had done seemed wasted now as we entered crisis management mode.

Could God bless us and take us deeper without a senior pastor? Could I still bring about positive change in the church while in the midst of a transition?

As a wannabe theologian, I turned first to the Bible. What I found was both surprising and yet comforting. Transition, change, is a primary theme of the New and Old Testament. It's central. God chooses His leader, directs His leader in how He is to lead His people. Then, just when things are getting interesting, he moves that leader on to something new.

Why?

That's the question that I think everyone in Family Church should ask themselves and God. Why does God move leaders just when things are getting good?

I don't have an answer for you. I can just tell you the result. Transition and change in leadership bring crisis. Crisis spurs action. Action results in ministry. Ministry produces life change.

I'm amazed at what I'm seeing in Family Church. For the past 3-4 years we've seen the cancer of complacency spring up in pockets throughout the congregation. As staff and leaders we sought to battle that not realizing that the cancer was covertly invading our own hearts.

In the last few weeks God has healed our congregation of that debilitating illness. The entire church has sprung to new life and a willingness connect and minister like we haven't seen in years. We've created new ministry teams. We've installed new ministry directors. We have ministries writing strategic plans for growth and outreach. It's a beautiful thing for an administrative pastor charged with keeping this church and staff moving forward in a time of transition.

Change is good. Why do we fear it? Why do we dread the unknown? Our God who changes not sure changes us a lot.

My hope and excitement for new ministry in 2009? It's back and it's stronger than ever. This is going to be a great year for Family Church.

3 comments:

Dr. David and Lisa Frisbie said...

Hey Jason: Well said!! You have captured this experience perfectly and wonderfully. Isn't this a strange and glorious time to be part of Family Church? Somehow all of us can sense the positives of change. Excitement is building.We are walking around in a God-moment, blinking in His bright light.

Jason Hill said...

I like that. "Walking Around in a God-moment, blinking in His bright light". It certainly feels like that! I think we've barely scratched the surface of what He wants to do.

Anonymous said...

Jason,

I am the High School Pastor at Brett's new church and I just want to thank you and encourage you for your words here.

My wife and I moved to Florida in September and found out that our former Sr Pastor was resigning in November with 1 months notice. I remember the sense of shock we felt because this man was a huge reason we left Michigan for FL.

Your church is blessed to have Pastors on staff like you and that "void" is being filled by all of you through encouragement like this.

RG