Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Vision & Membership

Family Church has a vision. I hope that you all know that. I hope even more than you can tell me what that vision statement is. Can you? I say it every Sunday that I give the announcements. It's printed on all of our publications. It's all over the website.

Family Church. Helping people find their place in God's family.

This past Sunday night I taught the membership class called Starting Point. It was a great honor to be able to teach that course. For the past 8 years Pastor Brett had taught it as a way to connect to new attenders and potential members and share in detail and from the heart the vision, mission, and direction of Family Church. Inheriting that mantle, at least temporarily, is not something that I take lightly. Membership is very important to me.

I think that inherent in the term membership is the concept of ownership. In this season as much or more than any other, we have to realize that church isn't about one person. It's not about Pastor Brett's vision. It's not about Dr. Frisbie's or mine. It's not about the board's vision.

This is our church. It's your church. It is what we members, the staff, and the leaders make of it.

So, in the coming weeks we're going to start asking more of our members. We'll be praying more. We'll be fasting. We'll be reading and studying the Bible together more. We're all going to take ownership, at least I hope, of the spiritual health and direction of Family Church. Watch for ways that you can be involved. Listen to that small still voice in your head encouraging you to take a step forward and to embrace a new mantle of responsibility and depth of spiritual awareness.

We're on the verge of good things. I believe it. I'm excited about it. Together we can do great things. We can help a whole new group of people who walk through the doors of our church find their place in God's family just as we've found ours. That's a high calling. Perhaps the highest calling. How will you help fulfill it? Think about it!

No comments: